Monday, April 5, 2010

EASTER DINNER















For Easter dinner, I made a date with my good friend Torey and decided to go to Five Leaves. The restaurant was established by Heath Ledger but obviously was never brought to fruition until new owners came along. I had been there once before, but just for some tea and wine. Ever since then, I wanted to go back because of how cute the place was. It reminded me of being in Paris. Except that I've never actually been to Paris so I guess it just reminds me of what Parisian restaurants look like in movies. But I imagine the distressed walls and rustic tables somewhat mimic a french cafe. Despite that feeling, you won't find french fare on the menu, but instead American. I've heard that there is usually a really long wait, as it's a small, cozy place with not alot of seating. However, we went pretty early and didn't have to wait at all. (They don't take reservations).

I had a pretty big breakfast and I've been trying to eat healthier so I opted for the salad (which sadly, is something I never do). Unfortunately, I won't be doing that again, at least at Five Leaves. I tried the beet and blood orange salad but was immediately disappointed. The arugula topped with goats milk yogurt tasted bitter, unpleasant and just wrong. Despite the salad failure, the waiter busted out my order of celery root mash and Five Leaves completely redeemed itself. Might I just say, this was the best ordering decision I have made in a long time. I don't know if I'm exaggerating because I loooove mashed potatoes, but this side dish was extraordinary. It will single-handedly reel me back in for a third try.

I'm not giving up on you, Five Leaves, because I still want to go back and try the real food instead of some b.s salad. R.I.P Heath //$$$

(18 Bedford Ave Greenpoint, Brooklyn, NY 11222, (646) 510-6467)

1 comment:

  1. i'll go with you next time...and we can pour one out for heath.

    ReplyDelete