Tuesday, April 6, 2010

GIRL'S DINNER @ ZENKICHI


















I found Zenkichi on Yelp, but never knew anyone who had actually been there. I must have walked by this place a hundred times, but never noticed it despite the wood paneled corner it inhabits on N.6th and Wythe in Williamsburg. When you walk in, you immediately forget you're in Williamsburg. Upon walking upstairs you're taken through a labyrinth of private booths separated by Japanese screens. Each seating area is very private which is perfect for a small group or a couple. I read one review where a guy said the booths weren't "private enough", but I feel if they were any more private, you would have your own studio apartment. Also, you can summon the wait staff with a buzzer at your table and that is the only time they come to you.

As far as the interior design goes, this is the coolest restaurant I have been to in NY. It's the perfect place to bring out-of-towners, or spend a special occasion. It feels pretty fancy inside, so it's not ideal for a big rowdy group. I went with 5 other girls, and we did get scolded for being too loud. That was pretty understandable, however.

I'd say Zenkichi was very similar to the restaurants I went to in Japan. So if you want a very authentic Japanese dining experience, definitely go here. The one thing I would say you must try is the pork belly, which is making me hungry just thinking about it..//$$$

*They also have an open air seating area with the same private booths.
(77 North 6th St, Brooklyn, NY 11211 718.388.8985)

No comments:

Post a Comment