Friday, April 9, 2010

A TASTE OF BARCELONA (IN WILLIAMSBURG)....MERCAT NEGRE













Mercat Negre is a beautiful gem of a restaurant complete with dark wood floors, very high ceilings and white brick walls. Anyone who reads this should go here. We went for an early dinner the other night and I can't wait to go back. I will definitely go again during the 5-8pm happy hour where I can get a $5 Sangria and a free tapa. We were able to sit in the open-air doorway which was delightful. There weren't that many people there yet (after all it was around 6:30) but the people who were there seemed a little older or on the professional side, as opposed to the twenty something hipster crowd (like myself).

The tapa I chose was the shrimp croquetta which was simply fantastic. In fact, I can't stop thinking about it. I wish I could say I LOVED everything else we ordered but for what it cost, it just seemed ok. I got the pork belly topped with a poached egg, and it was pretty good but the portions are relatively small, so don't plan on totally beasting out here. I think the best bet would be to just order some appetizers, as everything is meant to be shared anyway. This is the perfect place to go for nice drink and tapas. I heard that there will soon be a roof deck open during the spring so I can't wait to check that out. Also, the staff was very nice and attentive and we didn't feel like we were being rushed at all. I felt very relaxed here and I really can't wait to go back (and get that shrimp croquetta). //$$$

(65 Grand Street Between Wythe & Kent Ave Brooklyn, NY 11211 347.223.4599)

No comments:

Post a Comment